Friday, March 11, 2016

Cat Lady Dress

Some sewers are the type that see a pattern, love it, and look for fabric that will work. I am the opposite. I see fabric, buy it, hoard it, and the search for a pattern that will work. 

I saw this fabric online and it just called to me. It didn't hurt that it's called Cat Lady (although there are no actual cats involved. Bummer). Within minutes I had a cut of it purchased and on its way to me. 


What I loved was the black and white with pops of cobalt. It felt like a very sophisticated take on a floral. It's a rayon, with a great hand, but not terrible to work with. It does fray like a bitch though. 

I paired it with Vogue 1395. This is a new favorite for me. It is a big fabric hog though! I had 3.5 yards of the fabric and it was barely enough. So what takes such a huge amount of fabric?
It has WINGS!

Well, it has a back overlay with wing like things that come around to the front and tie. One thing to keep in mind is that the wrong side of the fabric will show when you tie it. So you can either use a fabric that's similar on both sides, or do what I did. 

I just cut a piece that mirrored the tie, going back far enough that it wouldn't be visible, sewed them right sides together, turned it out, and top stitched. Easy peasy. 


For technique, I used French seams everywhere, added a lot of top stitching, and did a rolled hem on the skirt. The instructions called for double stitching at all the seams for some reason. I figured French seams were a better option. I did like the bias binding and the front bodice construction. 
I also loved this little gathered detail on the back bodice. Overall this is a great dress with some fun details. I can see myself making it again and again. I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to make it with a single layer back so it doesn't take quite so much fabric. 

I lined the skirt with some black China silk. It feels very luxurious. 

My only complaint is the length. I'll add an inch or two next time I make it. But I do love a dress that shows off my tattoos. 

And I'll leave you with this last and best picture. The true Cat Lady picture. 

Project: Cat Lady Dress
Pattern: Vogue 1395
Fabric: Cat Lady Rayon

No comments:

Post a Comment