Friday, March 25, 2016

Foxy Lady Dress

In general, I gravitate toward fit and flare dresses. I just think they suit my lumpy triangular body shape the most. But as soon as I saw the Cashmerette Appleton pattern, I knew I wanted to give it a try. A pattern drafted specifically for plus sizes, with different cup size options? Yes please!


I was already thinking about purchasing it, and then I saw the kits available on the website. I really loved the one with the black sheer polka dot sleeves. But the fox print seemed more me, and like something I would wear more often. 

Overall, this pattern was simple to sew. I think the only change I made was blending between sizes and using an extra long tie. I just like longer toes so I can make nice bows!

I did all the construction on my serger and then used a twin needle for around the neckband and hems. I used wonder tape for the first time with this dress and I'm hooked. It makes hemming knits a breeze!

I was very pleasantly surprised at how good I looked in this silhouette. I think the low cut is really flattering and brings the focus to my face. 

I've since used this pattern to make a Christmas gift for my cousin who is having a baby in a couple of months! It's perfect for a growing belly.

The only issue I have with this dress is the fabric. When it stretches (and this pattern is designed to stretch over your chest), you can see the white substrate. Not what I want on my boobs. 


I have lost a bit of weight since making this, so it's not as much of an issue. But I would size up if you're using a fabric with similar issues. 

Project: foxy lady dress
Pattern: Cashmerette Appleton
Fabric: fox jersey, bought as a kit

And here's the last and best picture. I hit the button too soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment