Wednesday, April 2, 2014

My spring/summer capsule wardrobe

So here it is, the culmination of the Wardrobe Architect.  A capsule collection of clothes that fit my style, my needs, and that I can reach for again and again.

I ended up with what was a fairly long list, so we may not see all of these pieces this season.  But when it comes to needs, wants, and budgets, I think this is a really good compromise.

So, for spring, I chose a few silhouettes to keep in mind.  full skirts, slimmer skirts, cardigans, skinny pants, and blousey tops were all featured.  And ballet flats with every outfit.  Which is fitting since I have about a bazillion of them.

So I made a list of each item, how many I had (and love wearing) and how many I would need to have a mixable wardrobe.

In the end I decided on my needs

  • 3 blousey tops with short or mid length sleeves
  • 2 full skirted dresses
  • 2 slimmer dresses
  • 1 easy knit dress
  • 2 full skirts
  • 1 slimmer skirt
  • 1 knit blazer
  • 1 terry sweatshirt
So, make or buy?  The only thing on the list I'm buying is the blazer, because I'm not confident enough in my skills yet to try a structured knit.  I actually already bought it, and really love it.

Next, color.

I thought a lot about this one, and tried not to just go with my first instincts.  I thought about the colors I've been wearing a lot, the fabrics that I've bought and love, and what is flattering on me.  And this is what I came up with.



It's arranged with bolder colors at the tops, nearly neutrals in the middle, and neutrals at the bottom.  At first this image gave me a little pause.  Shouldn't I be choosing crazy bright colors?  It's spring!  But this is colorful without being over the top, and I think entirely mixable/matchable.  I'm also including cream/white even thought it's not shown here.

So from here, I was able to plan specific pieces.  12 pieces to make (and one already bought) that I think will really work for me.

So back to the list above
  • 3 blousey tops with short or mid length sleeves
    • A loose fitting tee shirt in blush colored silk
    • A silk georgette blouse with a neck tie in ochre
    • a short sleeved blouse with peter pan collar in a charcoal and white stripe
  • 2 full skirted dresses
    • A white seersucker dress with tiny embroidered crabs in a poppy red
    • An eyelet dress, color TBD but would love it to be poppy or coral
  • 2 slimmer dresses
    • Button front sleeveless dress in a cat print - aubergine with pink and poppy accents
    • A shirtdress (I think) in a different cat print - very light putty and white
  • 1 easy knit dress
    • Black knit dress with a full skirt and elbow length sleeves
  • 2 full skirts
    • pleated flowy skirt in a dark olive silk georgette
    • print skirt in black and gold - done!
  • 1 slimmer skirt
    • Slim skirt in a bright coral floral
  • 1 knit blazer
    • black and white striped blazer - bought!
  • 1 terry sweatshirt
    • cream terrycloth sweatshirt for lounging
So, that's a lot of colors/prints.  But when I put them together, I think it really works. This combination feels very "me." So I think this exercise was definitely a success. Now I just have to put this into practice!


No comments:

Post a Comment